Monday, December 21, 2015

To G.N.Balasubramaniam, The Love Of My Life.. ~ From M.S.Subbulakshmi

M.S.Subbulakshmi
G.N.Balasubramaiam
M.S.Subbulakshmi




To the love of my life..
To my love who has taken over my life, body and soul..
To the person who had taken hold of my life and yet allowed me to languish..

All I want is to feast my eyes upon you. You on the other hand would not even raise your head to look at me. Can you fathom how this torments my mind? I simply wither away.

I hug your photograph and weep. Would that photograph speak to me, my kanna?

In my house there is no happiness for me. There are only problems … My mother is likely to be alive only for a few more years. My elder brother is my enemy. The younger sister is all right … I will not hide anything from you. I have not been happy so far. But I am alive because I am here. 

Kanna, to write all this I found some time only today … One thing is the absolute truth. Your happiness is mine, kanna … You may ask me what I was doing earlier. I suffered.

Even when the film is over,I will not get separated from you. Please do not unnecessarily test me. After the film is over, we will be together … The love I have for you will never change. After I die, you will realize that. My life from birth has been one of travails … Naan paavi.. I must have committed great sins to suffer like this. If I had stayed in Madurai, I would have died long ago … there is nobody to whom I can speak and cry out. I dream of you daily. Do you? … When you happen to touch me in the course of our acting together, I think to myself, ‘This is my Lord’ and then feel elated. I don't want anything else in life. I only want your love. 

If you are generally happy with me, that will give me the greatest pleasure. I do not know what people back at home would do to me. It was predicted by the astrologer that the immortal Pushpavanam would have a long life. Yet he died at a young age. I will go in the same manner. It is better that I am dead.

At least now, when the duet is picturised will you avoid the natural inclination of physical contact?

The kutchery was no good. No music other than yours gets into my ears. This is the unvarnished truth. I must sing exactly like you. Even after the film is over, I am sure you are going to continue to teach me music.

Henceforth even for a moment I will not be separated from you.

From Kunju, who worships you..
My love, my very life, I kiss your handwriting and your music..
I will never leave you, en Kanna..

~ M.S.Subbulakshmi





(Excerpted from the Appendix of the Book, “M.S. : A Life in Music” by T.J.S. George, published by HarperCollins, 2004) 



(G.N.Balasubramaniam was born in 1910 and died at the age of 55 in 1965.

M.S.Subbulakshmi was born in 1916 and died at the age of 88 in 2004.)






G.N.Balasubramaniam and M.S.Subbulakshmi in the movie "Shakuntalai" 
Directed by Ellis R.Dungan in 1940




4 comments:

  1. பிரேமையில் யாவும் மறந்தேனே….
    பிரேமையில் யாவும் மறந்தேனே….
    பிரேமையில்….

    ஜீவனம் உனதன்பே
    ஜீவனம் உனதன்பே – என் அன்பே
    வானமுதும் விரும்பேனே
    பிரேமையில் யாவும் மறந்தோமே…

    பிரேமையில்…

    பிரேமை வெண்ணிலா ஜோதி வீச…
    …என் உள்ளம் பரவசமாக
    பிரேமை வெண்ணிலா ஜோதி வீச…
    …என் உள்ளம் பரவசமாக

    என்னை மறந்தேன் மதனமோகனா….
    என்னை மறந்தேன் மதனமோகனா…!

    நான் உன்னை மறவேன் !
    உம்மை நான் பிரியேன் !

    நான் உன்னை மறவேன்
    உம்மை நான் பிரியேன்

    வானோர்க்கும் அரிதாம்
    குறைவில்லாத பிரேமையில்
    யாவும் மறந்தோமே

    பிரேமையில் யாவும் மறந்தோமே !

    ReplyDelete
  2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqhivfYsvk4

    ReplyDelete
  3. GNB, The great musician was serious enough at one point to want to marry MS in defiance of caste and social barriers. But after he knew how MS had kept silent over Sadasivam's machinations, he never forgave her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you mean that MS didnt reveal that shes already married to sadasivam?

      Delete