Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Rābiʻa : Nor My Eyes Find Ease Of Sleep..




My cup, my poured spirit      
and companion are three.
I am Rabi'a the fourth,      

Fevered and longing
For the One I belong to       

who waits on me.
Round the clock, round the room,      

in the cupbearer's hands
Goes the gratifying cup      

of grace and jubilee.
If I stare, none see me      

except by Him.
If I'm there, none see the Me     

as separate from our We.
O small men who rebuke me,     

His beauty has swept me!
By God, I block my ears     

to your abuse. I can see.
How many a soulburning      

night of surfeiting
Fixation made my head      

like a fountainhead weep!
The drops won't dry away,      

nor my oneness with Him
Abide, nor my eyes     

find ease of sleep.



~ Rābiʻa al-ʻAdawiyya aka Rābiʿah al-Baṣrī 


Lover Of Lovers : Translated By A.Z.Foreman






1 comment:

  1. Rabia was a sufi in a different league. She had the courage to go beyond what is otherwise 'unacceptable'. In her copy of 'Koran' she edited the words 'fight the devil' wherever they appeared. She saw HIM in everything and everybeing, so there was no 'other'. 'Devil' for her had no existence at all. Personalities like Rabia are the ones through which Allah gives His glimpses to ordinary mortals, only if we are intelligent enough to catch them.

    Beautiful video accompanying nice music. Good post. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete